Friday, June 22, 2012

Something to blog about

I know, I know.

I don't update this thing very often. It's because my life is pretty routine - nothing much to blog about, because not much ever changes.

Every now and then something is blogworthy.... and since I'm updating, obviously, I deem this change as blogworthy.

Just a few things that have all come together as factors for when and where this will be:

1 - My cousins/friends/landlords/upstairs-neighbors finally found a buyer for their house, and I got new landlords who want me to stay and don't want to raise my rent - couldn't have asked for an easier transition - counting my blessings there.
2 - My stake changed some ward boundaries and my block was moved into a different ward.
3 - I was asked to serve as a primary teacher in my new ward for the 4-year old children.
4 - One week later I was also asked to serve as a helper for camp for the young women.
5 - A couple of weeks later I was asked to serve in the stake primary presidency.
6 - A couple of weeks after that - a couple of weeks ago - my mom proposed something that makes the object of this post possible.

When my ward boundaries changed, I assured my new bishop that I had no intention of moving out or of switching to the single adults ward - been there, done that, rather not, thanks. As per the usual methods of receiving church callings, about a month after the boundary changes I was asked to come speak with a member of the bishopric on a Tuesday evening, and the following Sunday I was officially made a primary teacher. The next Tuesday I was asked again to come speak with a member of the bishopric. ??? Did they realize that they had just barely given me a calling? Was it a clerical error and would they ask me again about the same calling? No, it really was another position - drawing on my experience to help with this year's young women's camp. (This will be my fourth year for that.) Verily, the following Sunday I was again made official.

The next Sunday, after church, I was napping and chose not to answer a phone call from a number I didn't recognize. Later, after I listened to the message - from a member of the Stake Presidency, I called back, but he didn't answer. And he didn't call back. And I didn't hear anything else... until Friday night, and then it was, "can you come tomorrow morning?" I figured if they were willing to meet me on a Saturday morning, it must be something they wanted to make official that same week. Naturally I was a bit apprehensive, but saying no to a calling is not something I believe in, so I went. He asked me if I had any experience with scouting. Does wanting to be a cub scout when I was little because I was jealous of my brothers count as experience? I was agreeably surprised when the calling wasn't Scouts, precisely. Being the second counselor in the Stake Primary Presidency does involve the cub scouts but with less direct responsibility. I accepted, and verily, the following day I was, again, made official. Usually, when a Stake calling is extended, you are released from any additional responsibilities. I asked for an exception. Camp is a one-time shot, and it's almost done anyway. And my primary kids have had enough upheaval with the ward boundary changes, and getting a new teacher. Plus, my team teacher had a lot of family stuff going on and was going to be sporadic in her attendance for a few weeks. So I asked them to let me try doing both Primary callings for a while as I didn't foresee any conflict between the two, and promised to let them know if I needed to be released. They agreed.

So here I am, committed to stay in my apartment, in my ward, in my stake. And then my mom emails me with the offer of helping me with a down payment on a home, in exchange for a permanent guest bedroom and the expectation of them sleeping there twice a week. (They live an hour away and come to Logan two days each week to work in the Logan temple.)

Turn my life upside down! I thought I had finally settled in after all the recent changes!

Well, I had already spent a bundle on a cub-scout leader uniform, so the first thing I did was figure out exactly what my stake boundaries were so I could concentrate my house search in the right area. One thing led to another, and yesterday I signed a contract for the construction of a new house - right across the street from where I am now. I should be in by Halloween. Thanksgiving at my house this year anyone?

:-)

2 comments:

JohnandAnna Swenson said...

Awesome Debbie! You are amazing and I'm so excited for you and all that is happening! A new, and Your own home will be so fun! And you seriously are superwoman with all of your callings!!!! I just love ya!!!

Krista Lyn said...

That is Awesome Debbie!!!! That will be so so so much fun to watch the house be built!